Just back from a trip to Adelaide where I ran a two day Service Training for an automotive client. Interesting to notice some of the service experiences that you have while training others in improving their service delivery!
We had lunch, on both days, at the cafe attached to the hotel in which the training was being held.
On the first day, we arrived at the appointed time, were presented with menus, orders were taken and we chatted while the food was prepared. As the trainer, I was a little concerned that this process might take a long time, and affect our afternoon starting tme.
I was pleasantly surprised that the meals were prepared and delivered quickly and (mostly) accurately. The food was delicious and a happy mealtime was had by all. As we left, I asked the cafe manager whether it would make their lives easier if we pre-ordered the meals in the morning on day two. She agreed, so I took menus with me.
The group ordered as they arrived at the venue and I delivered the list before morning tea, confirming our arrival time with the staff.
When we arrived at the cafe, at the appointed time, we waited for the pre-ordered meals. And waited. And waited. Finally the first few arrived ten minutes later...with cold fries. Five minutes later another couple of meals...with more cold fries. Then most of the rest of the meals (more cold fries) and three unordered chicken parmigianas. Eventually, after about 20 minutes, the final two meals (salads!!) arrived - sadly, one of them was mine. Both were supposed to be chicken caesar - both arrived without chicken. So much for pre-ordering!
The message for me, and for my participants, was clear. Inconsistency and not delivering on promises really affected our experience. I'm glad that they all got such a clear re-inforcement of some of the important keys to providing juiced up service. I'm not keen on visiting that particular cafe again!
Stay juicy!
Helen :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment